Sunday 27 October 2013

M&M Cookies

Today I made M&M Cookies

Want something yummy but don't fancy just any cookie. This recipe is super easy and perfect to help you use up the extra candy that might be hanging around after Halloween. I don't know what it is but I always seem to have an abundance of M&M's after Halloween even if I didn't buy any they just appear in my house. My Nieces and Nephews always love these Cookies. They're very colourful and really soft and chewy and that contrasted with the crunch of the shell of the candy. If you eat them warm the Chocolate inside the shell is still melted so it's like little pockets of chocolate sauce within the cookie. These cookies act as perfect wafer for ice-cream also. A scoop of Vanilla ice-cream in between two Cookies makes a perfect dessert.

I like to use the regular M&M's in this recipe but I have used the Peanut M&M's in the past and I plan on using the Crispy ones in the future. I always pick M&M's over smarties for recipes like this. I feel the Chocolate melts better and the colours don't seem to run as much during baking. These Cookies use my basic Soft and Chewy Cookie Recipe. I use more Golden Sugar than White Sugar in this recipe. Golden Sugar gives the cookie a much softer, chewier and moist consistency while the White Sugar induces spreadying so the Cookie will end up both soft and thick as well as being big in size. It's important to use both Sugars in today's recipe. I plan on using White Chocolate Chips the next time I make these. 


Ingredients:
(Makes 12 Large) 

  • 170g Unsalted Butter
  • 150g Golden Sugar
  • 50g Granulated Sugar
  • 1 Large Egg - At room temperature
  • 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Essence 
  • 250g All purpose Flour
  • 2 Teaspoons Cornstarch
  • 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 200g M&M's 

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Line two baking trays with baking parchment or silicone baking 
mats.

2. In a large bowl cream the butter and Golden and Granulated Sugar together, you can do this by hand with a spatula or whisk or with a hand held mixer until light and fluffy. Mix in the egg and vanilla and mix again until fully incorporated.


3. Scrape down the sides of the bowl when needed. When the egg and vanilla are incorporated you can start to add in the Flour, Baking Soda and Cornstarch . I like to put all the dry goods into a sieve together so everything gets incorporated evenly. 

4. Stir in the M&M's and mix through so that they are evenly dispersed throughout the Cookie Dough. 


5. Chill the dough in the fridge for at least half an hour, I normally leave it for an hour as the longer you leave the dough the better the texture of the Cookies. The dough can also be chilled for up to three days or in the freezer for three months. 

6. When the dough is chilled, take out of the fridge. Take up two Tablespoons of the mixture and roll into a ball in your hands. Place the balls of dough on the baking trays with a 2 inch gap in between them.

7. Bake for 8-9 minutes, until the cookies are just starting to go golden brown around the edges. I really recommend not cooking any longer than 9 minutes. The cookies may seem slightly underdone but they will continue to bake on the baking sheet for a few minutes.

8. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire wrack.



"Chocolate is nature’s way of making up for Mondays."

2 comments: