Sunday 27 October 2013

Gluten Free Breakfast Cookies

Today I made Gluten Free Breakfast Cookies

Some mornings all I want for breakfast is a Cookie and cup of tea but also want to have something at least a little bit healthy. Faced with this problem I had to do some research into what I could make to satisfy both these needs. I love the idea of Granola and throwing lots of healthy ingredients together and I love cookies so I thought what If I could combine the two? These Breakfast Cookies are ridiculously easy make. All you need is one bowl and your choice of healthy ingredients and the determination not to eat all of the mix before you make them into cookies. These are not only perfect for Breakfast. The Complex carbs from the Oats fuel amazing work outs, try one before hitting the gym. 


These Cookies start with a base of Gluten Free Quick Oats. I choose to use Gluten Free Oats for an extra Health Kick. I try to go Gluten Free whenever I can get away with it with my baking and this recipe is perfect for it. You need to use Quick Oats in this recipe, The Quick Oats are more powdery than Whole Oats which will give the Cookies more structure. Another must in these cookies is the Peanut Butter, I like to use Chunky Peanut Putter to give these Cookies a nice crunchy texture. I also like to add Apple Sauce and the Cookies are sweetened with a small amount of Maple Syrup or Honey. The add-ins can include Dried Cranberries, Raisins, Pumpkin Seeds, Sesame Seeds, Honey Roasted Peanuts, Pecans, Sunflower Seeds and Chocolate Chips.


Ingredients: 
(Makes 12)

  • 180g Quick Oats
  • 80g Chunky Peanut Butter
  • 40g Maple Syrup (or honey)
  • 30g Apple Sauce
  • 40g Chocolate Chips
  • 40g Raisins
  • 0g Coconut
  • 40g Sesame Seeds 
Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a large Cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.

2. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl using a wooden spoon. Mix until all the ingredients are combined. The dough should look quite stiff.



3. Take a large Tablespoon of the mixture and roll around between the palm of your hands and form into a ball. Place onto prepared cookie sheets. Slightly flatten the tops of the cookie dough, the cookies will not spread in the oven so press into the shape you wish them to have. 



4. Bake for 14-16 minutes or until the edges are slightly browned. Allow to cool fully on the cookie sheets before transferring to a wire rack. 

5. Cookies will stay fresh in an air tight container at room temperature for one week. You can also freeze these cookies for up to 3 months. 



"Got Milk?"

1 comment: