Saturday 12 October 2013

Cinnamon Rolls with Vanilla Glaze


Today I made super easy Cinnamon Rolls  

I have always had a weak spot for Cinnamon Rolls ever since I was a child.  My father would bring me in to town and we'd always have tea and share a Cinnamon Roll so to this day when I smell that sweet Cinnamon aroma it takes me right back to being that five year old girl. A number of years ago I started to notice that not many places sold Cinnamon Rolls anymore so I was faced with a dilemma - how was I going to get my fix now? So I started to look into making my own. The first couple of recipes I tried hit a miss, I was so familiar with how my memory wanted them to taste that I couldn't settle. I started playing around with putting together my own recipe and then one day everything fell into to place as I finally cracked it.



 Not only is this recipe really easy to make, they look like fluffy little spiraled pillows.  All nice & toasty and they just happen to taste amazing. These little guys are perfect for breakfast on a lazy Sunday morning, yummy Saturday brunch or naughty weekday afternoon tea. They come out of the oven hot, you load them with your frosting of choice, throw them on the table and everybody can tear off what they want. You can fill these rolls with Nuts, Jam, Nutella, Coconut or Mixed Fruit. I have a number different recipes that I will share with you .





Ingredients:

For The Rolls:
  • 350g All Purpose Flour
  • 3 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
  • 7g Dried Yeast
  • 60mls Milk
  • 120mls Water
  • 40g Butter
  • 1 Large Egg
For The Filling:
  • 60g Unsalted Butter - softened to room temperature
  • 1 and 1/2 Tablespoons Ground Cinnamon
  • 100g Granulated Sugar

For The Glaze:
  • 150g Icing Sugar
  • 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
  • 2 Tablespoons Milk

Instructions:

For The Dough:
1. Sift the Flour into a large bowl. Add in the sugar and yeast and mix until evenly dispersed. Set Aside while you prepare the wet ingredients.



2. Heat the water, milk and butter together in the microwave until the butter is melted, it normally takes me 40-50 seconds. Stir the butter mixtures into the flour mixtures. Add the Egg and bring together with your fingers until it forms a soft dough.


3. The dough is ready when it gently pulls away from the side of the bowl and starts to feel smooth and springy. 



4. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough for about 4-5 minutes. Place in a lightly oiled bowl and leave to rest for 10 minutes. I do all my dough proofing  in my dryer - I know it sounds mad but I normally put on the dryer while I make the dough when the dough is ready I turn off the dryer and place the bowl into the dryer with a damp clean tea towel over it.



For The Filling:
5. After 10-15 minutes, roll the dough out into a 14x8 inch rectangle. Once rolled out spread the butter on top, mix together the Cinnamon and Sugar and sprinkle it all over the dough, right out to the edges.




6. Roll up the dough tightly. Cut into 12 even pieces, press down slightly on each swirl before placing into a a lightly oiled 9 inch round pan. I like to use a clasp release pans so its easy to get them out in one piece.





7. Loosely cover the rolls with cling film and allow to rise in a warm and dry place for an hour. After the rolls have doubled in size, preheat the oven to 190°C. Bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden brown. I normally cover the rolls with tin foil after 15 minutes of baking as I don't like them getting too brown. 






For The Glaze:
8. Mix the Icing Sugar with the Milk and Vanilla Extract, you don't want the the glaze too runny so it doesn't run right off the Cinnamon Rolls. Completely drench your Cinnamon Rolls with your Glaze and devour.







“Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what’s for  breakfast.”

No comments:

Post a Comment