Sunday 6 October 2013

Fererro Rocher Cupcakes with Nutella Frosting


Today I made Ferrero Rocher Cupcakes with Nutella Frosting


These cupcakes are definitely one of the most luscious and impressive looking out of the catalog of cupcakes I make. A fudge-y chocolate brownie cupcake and then the frosting, oh my the frosting - be still my little heart, smooth, creamy Nutella-y frosting - yes I said Nutella-y, it's so good I needed to create a new word for it. The cupcakes are then topped with Milk, White and Dark Chocolate Ferrero Rocher. The frosting I use in this recipe is the frosting recipe I normally used then I add in a healthy amount of Nutella and blended Hazelnuts. The frosting by itself taste so like Ferrero Rocher you wouldn't really need anything else but  because I'm a sucker for Cupcake toppers I just have to put a Ferrero Rocher on top of each Cupcake.


I like to talk about good food combinations a lot and this is definitely one of them. I use the key elements of Ferrero Rocher to really give the cupcake a Ferrero Rocher-y feel. The smooth Hazelnut center of the sweet is really easily replicated by Nutella, The crispy, nuttiness of the outside is replicated by the blitzed Hazelnuts in the frosting. I debated for a while whether to use a vanilla cupcake or chocolate cupcake for this creation. When I thought about how intense the top of the cupcake was I thought no point in holding back now and went for a brownie cupcake base. I also bake these little beauties in metallic gold cases so they look like the gold wrapping of the sweets.


Ingredients:  
(Makes 12)

For the Cupcakes:
  • 115g Unsalted Butter - Room Temperature
  • 170g Light Brown Sugar
  • 150g Cocoa Powder
  • 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
  • 2 Large Eggs
  • 150g Plain Flour
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
  • 12 Ferrero Rocher
 
For the Frosting: 
  • 170g Unsalted Butter
  • 250g Icing Sugar
  • 150g Nutella
  • 100g Hazelnuts 


Instructions: 
 
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C and line the cupcake tin with your cases of choice. 
 
2. Put the butter into a microwave friendly bowl and heat for increments of 30 seconds until the butter is melted. Take out and stir in the sugar, put back in the microwave for a further 30 seconds and then stir again. 
 
3.  Add in the two eggs and Vanilla Extract and whisk till fully incorporated. At this stage you can sift in the Flour, Cocoa Powder and Baking Powder stir till just mixed - make sure not to over mix the cake batter.
 

4. Fill up the cupcake cases half an inch from the top. I normally use an ice-cream scooper as it gives the perfect amount to fill each of the cases.  
 
 
 
5. Bake the cupcakes for 12/15 minutes. Until a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean. Cool the cupcakes on a wire rack until fully cooled.
 


6.  For the frosting - place the Butter into a large bowl and whisk till it looks light in colour, add in the Icing Sugar and whisk till full incorporated. At this point you can whisk in the Nutella - (perfect spooning licking opportunity). 
 
 
 
7. Blitz the Hazelnuts in a handheld blender. Add into the frosting and mix through. When the cupcakes are cool you can then frost them. Fill an icing bag with the frosting and cut off the tip and frost each cupcake.
 

 
8. When all the cupcakes are frosted you can place a Ferrero Rocher on top of each one. These can be eaten straight away or you can chill them in the fridge for half an hour to firm up the frosting.




"Little Balls of Heaven - Ferrero Rocher"

1 comment:

  1. I can practically smell them! They look unreal, defo going to be trying this one out :) x

    ReplyDelete